Financial Aid Handbook

Table of Contents

Application Steps

In This Section:

Step Five: Receive Your Funds
If you have successfully completed Steps 1 through 4, financial aid is generally disbursed or credited to your student account at the beginning of the semester. If your financial aid funds exceed your charges, you will receive a check for the difference in your local mailbox (campus or mailing address) around the first day of classes. Be aware that it is your responsibility to pay for your books at the beginning of the semester, even if you have not received a check yet. If you do not pay your bill by the deadline, or if you are not pre-registered, your disbursement will be delayed!

Some types of financial aid (certain state awards, outside loans, etc.) are not electronically transmitted and require that you sign a paper check before funds are applied to your account. You will receive a postcard from the Cashiers and Student Accounts Office notifying you that your signature is required. Many outside aid checks are valid only for a limited amount of time. Respond to a notice from the Cashiers Office right away. You must bring a picture ID with you in order to sign your financial aid check(s).

Please be aware that disbursement procedures may change after the printing of this Handbook. Contact the Cashiers and Student Accounts Office at (336) 334-5831 with questions.

Non-disbursement and Aid Repayment
Your aid may not be disbursed to you if any of the following apply:

  • You have not completed the Credit Authorization Form.
  • You have not turned in all required documents (including all loan forms).
  • You are enrolled less than half-time.
  • You are not making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • You have not satisfied the immunization requirement with Student Health Services.
  • You may also be required to repay part or all of your disbursement. If you are awarded Pell grant for full-time enrollment and then at the end of drop/add you are enrolled for fewer hours, your Pell grant will have to be recalculated. This means that you will have to repay part or all of your Pell grant.

Graduate Fellowships and Assistantships

Contact the Graduate School at (336) 334-5596 for details concerning disbursement of these funds.

Return of Funds Policy
UNCG has a federally mandated Return of Funds Policy that governs the return of Title IV funds disbursed to students who completely withdraw from the University. Title IV funds include: Federal Student Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, Federal PLUS Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Pell Grants, and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG).

If a student completely withdraws from UNCG, s/he must return unearned student aid. Unearned aid is the amount of disbursed Title IV aid that exceeds the amount of Title IV aid earned. During the first 60% of the semester, a student earns funds in direct proportion to the length of time he or she remains enrolled. The period of time during which a student is enrolled is the percentage of aid earned by the student. A student who remains enrolled beyond the 60% point earns all aid for the term.

The percentage of the period that the student remained enrolled is determined by dividing the number of days the student attended by the number of days in the entire semester. Calendar days are used in the determination of percentages. Breaks of 5 days or longer are excluded in the calculations. If the amount of Title IV funds disbursed is greater than the amount of Title IV funds earned by the student, a return of Title IV funds is necessary. Both UNCG and the student are responsible for returning a percentage of the unearned aid.

Students who find that they must withdraw from UNCG can do so by dropping all courses through UNCGenie. Students who drop all courses are considered to be withdrawn from the University and must seek reactivation or readmission through either Undergraduate Admissions or The Graduate School in order to return to UNCG in subsequent terms.

For further clarification, please consult the UNCG Return of Funds Policy available from the Cashiers and Student Accounts Office or the FAO.

Back to the top