Federal Work Study

Photo of UNCG Students
Community Service Positions
Student Employment Office for Students
Student Employee Office for Employers
Federal Work-Study may be offered as part of your total financial aid package and may be listed on your award. In order to be eligible for Federal Work-Study, you must be enrolled at least half-time and have documented need. Your "need" is calculated based on the information submitted on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal Work-Study provides an excellent opportunity for you to earn money and obtain transferable job skills, all while attending UNCG. Federal and state governments allocate a limited amount of funds to UNCG for this program each year. You should file a FAFSA before the priority deadline of March 1 if you are interested in Federal Work-Study.

For more information use the contact information listed below If you have been awarded Federal Work-Study, you may view work-study information on UNCGenie. You may accept or decline your work-study award on UNCGenie. To accept or decline your award online:
  1. Log in to UNCGenie
  2. Click on Financial Aid
  3. Click on My Award Information
  4. Click on Accept Award Offer By Aid Year
  5. Select Aid Year and Submit
  6. Click Accept Award Offer tab at top of page
You may also complete the Financial Aid Response Form to decline your award. The Financial Aid Office will cancel your Federal Work-Study Award if you do not accept it within four weeks of receiving your award.

If you are not awarded Federal Work-Study and would like to be placed on the waiting list, please contact the Financial Aid Office. We will place you on the waiting list if you meet all eligibility requirements.

Federal Work-Study positions are considered real jobs. The term "work-study" does not mean that you may study while on the job. Rather, it means that you will work in a professional environment to earn the funds necessary to study at UNCG.

The Advantages of a Federal Work-Study Job
If you don't find a job within the first four weeks of classes, your FWS award will be cancelled.
  • Flexible work schedule - you can arrange your work schedule around your classes.
  • Convenience of working on or near campus.
  • Opportunity to work at a Community Service Program Agency.
  • Chance to gain valuable work experience and build references for future employment.
  • Wide variety of job experiences available on and off campus.
  • Studies have shown that part-time employment has a positive impact on a students' academic performance.

Finding a Work-Study Position

It is your responsibility to find a work-study job. Here is what you should do:

  1. Go to SpartanCareers to review the Student Employment Office's online listing of available work-study positions.
  2. Contact departments where you are interested in working and inquire about work-study positions and the departments' hiring procedures.
  3. If you are interested in a community service position, contact the Student Employment Office for more details.


Securing a Work-Study Job
Complete and sign an Authorization to Work Form given to you by your supervisor. Complete an INS Form at the Student Employment Office.Once you have accepted a position at a department or agency, you must complete and sign a Federal Work Study Action Form with your work-study department supervisor. You must also complete an I-9 Form in the Student Employment Office (1 Elliot University Center) by providing a photo I.D. and Social Security Card (or birth certificate or passport). No photo copies can be accepted. In some instances, you may be required by your hiring department to complete a Privacy Act Form for confidentiality purposes. For payroll and tax exemption requirements, you must complete W-4 and NC-4 withholding forms. All of the above mentioned forms except the I-9 form may be obtained from your hiring department. Once these forms have been completed, you may begin working.

It is your responsibility to know and adhere to all University policies, regulations and guidelines as well as to employee regulations established by the department and directed by your supervisor. You should establish a consistent work schedule that is acceptable to your supervisor. Throughout your employment with the department or agency, communication with your supervisor is essential for any job-related concerns you may have. You should continue employment with the same department for at least one complete semester. If you are terminated from a Federal Work Study position, it is possible your Federal Work Study award will be canceled for the remainder of the year.

Back to the top


Your Work Schedule
Federal Work Study students work an average of 8-12 hours per week. You will arrange with your supervisor a work schedule that will accommodate your classes while also meeting the needs of the department. During a semester, you may typically begin work during the first full week of classes and cease work on the last day of classes. Work during periods of non-enrollment, such as holidays, is at the discretion of the department and the Financial Aid Office.


Wage & Pay Schedules
The award letter from the Financial Aid Office indicates the maximum dollar amount you may earn in the Federal Work Study Program for the academic year. Your supervisor will determine your hourly rate of pay. Students must be paid at least the current federal minimum wage. The responsibilities of the position and your previous experience may also determine your hourly wage. Wage increases are determined by your department and are based on work performance and increased responsibilities. Once employed, you will be paid once a month at the end of the month. Pay periods run from the 11th day of one month to the 10th day of the next month. You must sign up for direct deposit of your work-study paycheck to you bank account through the Payroll Office or the Student Employment Office.


Forms to Complete

1. Federal Work Study Student Action Form
(completed with your hiring department supervisor)

2. I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form
(completed in the Student Employment Office)

3. Confidentiality Statement for the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act
(required for certain positions by departmental supervisor)

4. W-4 and NC-4 Withholding Forms for Payroll purposes
(completed in your hiring department or in the Payroll Office, 270 Mossman)

5. Direct deposit Form - required.
(submitted to the Payroll Office or hiring department)

Back to the top