Community Service Positions

"It is truly a wonderful feeling knowing that not only am I benefiting myself,
  but I'm helping others by providing a vital service to my community."
  -- Chris Peoples, United Services for Older Community Service Program

Welcome to the Community Service Program at UNCG. Make your Federal Work-Study award work for you by signing up! If you have applied for financial aid at UNCG, you may be eligible. Read the Frequently Asked Questions below to see if this program is for you.

Frequently Asked Questions

For More Information...
To learn more about Community Service Positions, please contact:

Student Employment Office - Career Services Center
1 Elliot University Center
P. O. Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170

Web site:
Phone: (336) 256-0403
Fax: (336) 256-0391

Remember: You must apply for financial aid, i.e. file a FAFSA, every academic year. Your Federal Work-Study eligibility must be determined each year.


What is a Community Service Position?
These positions allow you to earn your Federal Work-Study award by working at approved on- and off-campus community service sites. Examples of positions may include:
  • Community Resource Specialist
  • Tutor
  • Public Relations Assistant
  • Marketing Assistant
  • Fitness Assistant
  • Museum Floor Assistant
  • Referral Specialist
  • Grant Writer
  • Child Care Assistant
  • Art Gallery Assistant
  • Youth Sports Assistant
  • Social Work Assistant


How Will a Community Service Position Help Me?
This Type of Position Experience will allow you to:
  • Increase your earning power *
  • Enhance your job skills
  • Increase your marketability
  • Acquire transferable skills you can use after graduation
  • Explore career options
  • Make a positive contribution to the community
  • Network in the community
* Community Service Work-Study Jobs pay $9.50 per hour, typically higher than most on-campus work-study jobs.

Back to the top


Who is Eligible?
All students with Federal Work-Study awards are eligible for a Community Service Position. Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a type of financial aid. In order to be eligible for FWS, you must be enrolled at least half-time and have documented need.

Your need will be determined according to your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is calculated by the federal processor and is based on information provided on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Contact the Financial Aid Office at (336) 334-5702 for further information.


Where Would I Work?
All agencies participating in the Community Service Work-Study Program are located in Greensboro, some within walking distance from the UNCG campus. In the past, students have been placed in agencies such as:

  • Center for Creative Arts
  • Greensboro Children's Museum
  • National Conference for Community & Justice (NCCJ)
  • Servant Center
  • United Arts Council
  • Urban Ministries
  • YMCA
  • Youth Focus
For a complete list of agencies participating in the Community Service Work-Study Program and further information on positions available, log on to Spartan Careers, and choose OFF-CAMPUS WORKSTUDY


When Would I Work?
FWS students work an average of 10 hours per week. The hours will vary depending on your schedule and the position. Community Service agencies will be flexible with your work schedule to accommodate for your classes and school course load.

Back to the top


How Long do Community Service Positions Last?
The position requires a commitment of at least one full semester. While some students work at an agency for one semester, many students decide to continue their experience for the full academic year. A student may continue their Community Service position until he/she has earned his/her maximum federal work-study award for the current year.


What Do I Need to Do?
1. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority deadline of March 1. (Federal Work-Study funds are limited. Students filing after the priority date may be placed on a work-study waiting list.)

2. Be determined eligible by the UNCG Financial Aid Office (FAO) and receive an award letter from the FAO indicating your eligibility for Federal Work-Study.

3. Visit Spartan Careers for a complete listing of possible community service positions, or contact the Student Employment Office at (336) 256-0403.

4. If you have questions regarding the FAFSA or the financial aid process, contact the UNCG Financial Aid Office at (336) 334-5702.