Why are we requesting that you provide documentation of your citizenship status?
The Department of Education was unable to verify your citizenship status with the Social Security Administration or with the United States Citizenship Immigration Services (USCIS) in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). It is important that you submit the information as soon as possible because the UNCG Financial Aid Office will not process your financial aid application until you submit all requested documentation. If we are required to submit your documentation to USCIS, it may take an additional 4-6 weeks before you file can be completed.


Provide a copy of your at least of one of the following:

  • Birth certificate showing you were born in the U. S.
  • Valid U.S. passport
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Report of Birth Abroad (form FS-240)
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad (form FS-545 or DS-1350)
  • or Freedom of Information Act Form (G-639)

This documentation must be submitted in person by the student or be accompanied by the Citizenship Affidavit form. It is recommended that you update your citizenship status with the Social Security Administration so that you will pass future checks.


Provide copy of your social security card AND a copy of one of the following documents:

  • Permanent, current, and valid Resident Alien Card
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card, Form I-151, I-551©
  • Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94
  • Valid passport stamped “Processed for I-551” with an expiration date

This documentation must be submitted in person by the student or be accompanied by the Citizenship Affidavit form. The UNCG Financial Aid Office will provide a copy of the submitted documentation to USCIS. Your documentation will be reviewed and your financial aid eligibility status will be determined.

Eligible non-citizen statuses:

  • Lawful U.S. Permanent resident alien
  • Alien granted asylum/refugee status in the United States
  • Conditional resident alien with a I-551 card or MRIV in an unexpired foreign passport and endorsed admission stamp
  • Cuban-Haitian immigrant
  • Conditional entrant into the U.S.
  • Alien paroled into the U.S. who is in the U.S. for more than a temporary purpose and intends to become a citizen or permanent resident
  • Victims of human trafficking
  • Battered immigrants-qualified aliens

Pending applications for residency, employment authorizations, and indeterminate alien status are not conclusive grounds for aid eligibility and must be supported by other documentation before eligibility can be determined.

These non-citizen individuals are not eligible for federal aid: (this list is not exhaustive)

  • Students on non-immigrant Visas; but not limited to F,M,B,H,L, or J Visas
  • Aliens who are non-immigrants
  • Aliens for whom the DHS has no records
  • Aliens without employment authorization in the U.S.
  • Aliens with a status of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival
  • Aliens with Counterfeit or altered documents