Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study provides an excellent opportunity for you to earn money and obtain transferable job skills, all while attending UNCG.  Federal Work-Study may be offered as part of your total financial aid package and may be listed on your award if you are an undergraduate student. In order to be eligible for Federal Work-Study, you must be enrolled at least half-time and have documented need as calculated based on the information submitted on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Federal and state governments allocate a limited amount of funds to UNCG for this program each year so it is important that you should file a FAFSA before the priority deadline if interested in obtaining Federal Work-Study.

If you have been awarded Federal Work-Study, you may view work-study information on UNCGenie where you may accept or decline your work-study award online. (Please note: The Financial Aid Office will cancel your Federal Work-Study Award if you do not accept it within four weeks of receiving your award.)

  1. Log in to UNCGenie
  2. From the UNCGenie Financial Aid page, click on Award.
  3. Click on Award By Aid Year.
  4. Select the aid year from the drop down menu and click submit and view your award information under the Award Overview tab.
  5. Select tab Accept Terms and Conditions. Read the information in the Terms and Conditions tab. When you get to the bottom of the page, select Accept.
    Please Note: Accepting the Terms and Conditions does not accept your actual aid. You still need to accept the aid on the Accept Award Offer tab. To accept the aid continue to the following:
  6. Select tab Accept Award Offer.

If you have not been awarded Federal Work-Study then you can contact the Financial Aid Office to request to be put on the wait list if funds become available.

The Advantages of a Federal Work-Study Job

  • Flexible work schedule – you can arrange your work schedule around your classes.
  • Convenience of working on or near campus.
  • Opportunity to work at a Community Service Program Agency.
  • Chance to gain valuable work experience and build references for future employment.
  • Wide variety of job experiences available on and off campus.
  • Studies have shown that part-time employment has a positive impact on a students’ academic performance.

Finding a Work-Study Position

It is your responsibility to find a work-study job. Here is what you should do:

  1. Go to Handshake to review the Career Services Center’s online listing of available work-study positions.
  2. Contact departments where you are interested in working and inquire about work-study positions and the departments’ hiring procedures.
  3. If you are interested in a community service position, contact the Career Services Center for more details.

You can contact the Student Employment Office for more information at 336.256.0403 or career_services@uncg.edu

Securing a Work-Study Job

Once you have accepted a position at a department or agency, you must complete an I-9 Form in the Career Services Center (1 Elliot University Center) by providing a photo I.D. and Social Security Card (or birth certificate or passport). No photo copies can be accepted.  For payroll and tax exemption requirements, you must complete W-4 and NC-4 withholding forms. All of the above mentioned forms except the I-9 form may be obtained from your hiring department. Once these forms have been completed, you may begin working.

It is your responsibility to know and adhere to all University policies, regulations and guidelines as well as to employee regulations established by the department and directed by your supervisor. You should establish a consistent work schedule that is acceptable to your supervisor. Throughout your employment with the department or agency, communication with your supervisor is essential for any job-related concerns you may have. You should continue employment with the same department for at least one complete semester. If you are terminated from a Federal Work Study position, it is possible your Federal Work Study award will be canceled for the remainder of the year.

Your Work Schedule

Federal Work Study students arrange their work schedule of 8-12 hours per week that accommodates their  class schedules while also meeting the needs of the department. During a semester, you may typically begin work during the first full week of classes and cease work on the last day of classes.

Wage & Pay Schedules

The award letter from the Financial Aid Office indicates the maximum dollar amount you may earn in the Federal Work Study Program for the academic year but your actual hourly rate of pay will be determined by your supervisor (but must at least be the current federal minimum wage).  The responsibilities of the position and your previous experience may also determine your hourly wage. Wage increases are determined by your department and are based on work performance and increased responsibilities. Once employed, you will be paid once a month at the end of the month. Pay periods run from the 11th day of one month to the 10th day of the next month. You must sign up for direct deposit of your work-study paycheck to you bank account by submitting this form to the Payroll Office or the Career Services Center.

What is a Community Service Position?

These positions allow you to earn your Federal Work-Study award by working at approved on- and off-campus community service sites. Examples of positions may include:

  • Community Resource Specialist
  • Tutor
  • Public Relations Assistant
  • Marketing Assistant
  • Child Care Assistant
  • Art Gallery Assistant
  • Fitness Assistant
  • Museum Floor Assistant
  • Referral Specialist
  • Youth Sports
  • Social Work
  • Grant Writer

This Type of Position Experience will allow you to:

  • Increase your earning power *
  • Enhance your job skills
  • Increase your marketability
  • Acquire transferable skills you can use after graduation
  • Explore career options
  • Make a positive contribution to the community
  • Network in the community

*Community Service Work-Study Jobs pay $9.50 per hour, typically higher than most on-campus work-study jobs.

All agencies participating in the Community Service Work-Study Program are located in Greensboro, some within walking distance from the UNCG campus. In the past, students have been placed in agencies such as:

  • Center for Creative Arts
  • Greensboro Children’s Museum
  • National Conference for Community & Justice (NCCJ)
  • United Arts Council
  • Servant Center
  • Urban Ministries
  • YMCA
  • Youth Focus

For a complete list of agencies participating in the Community Service Work-Study Program and further information on positions available, log on to Handshake, and choose OFF-CAMPUS WORKSTUDY

Community Service agencies will be flexible with your work schedule to accommodate for your classes and school course load. The position requires a commitment of at least one full semester. While some students work at an agency for one semester, many students decide to continue their experience for the full academic year. A student may continue their Community Service position until he/she has earned his/her maximum federal work-study award for the current year.